Marketing Tips From Cheri Cowell
One of the biggest misconceptions about marketing is the apparent dichotomy between giving things away and making money. Let me say, the biblical concept that the more you give the more you receive applies to marketing as well as to every other part of life. So with that in mind, let’s explore some ways to accomplish this.
- Free books enticed 35% of readers to sample a new author for the first time, with 21% finding a new author through free books more than 10 times. If readers liked what they read in the free book, the survey found 85% were extremely likely to buy another book from that author. Thus, you may want to consider offering an older book free to entice new readers to your new book.
- BookLikes is a site similar to Goodreads and Shelfari, but they offer a wonderful giveaway program and it includes ebooks, making it a good deal for the author. Check it out.
- Goodreads is a great place to host a giveaway. You can give away up to 10 copies of your book, but the book must be a physical copy.
- LibraryThing is for ebook giveaway. You can choose to give away up to 100 copies. After the giveaway ends, LibraryThing sends you a list of the emails of everyone who won. You can send them an email thanking them and offering to sign them up for future giveaways in your newsletter.
Noise Trade started as a music marketing company, but has since expanded into ebooks and audiobooks. Authors sign up for free, and can choose to either offer certain chapters or a whole book for free.
- Of course, your own website is a great place to offer free excerpts from your book, but don’t limit yourself to just that. Offer free tips sheets, coloring pages, or Scripture Resources on your book’s topic. The list is endless for creative writers. Think outside the lines–what would excite your readers, feed your readers, and make them say, “That was a valuable giveaway, I can’t imagine how valuable her book will be if she is willing to give this away for free.”
Cheri Cowell is the author of a new devotional book, 365 Devotions for Peace, released in December from Zondervan. Her Bible study Parables and Word Pictures in the AMG Following God Bible study series is a favorite in bookstores everywhere. Her new Bible One Story, One Mission, One God released in June. Check out her website to learn more and learn about her free giveaways. www.CheriCowell.com
Connect with Cheri Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and you can read her blogs on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month Cheri’s Blog
Michelle ConnellAugust 3, 2016 - 09 : 07 : 26
Thank you for these tips, Cheri. I am running a GoodReads giveaway right now for my debut inspirational romance, Cookie Encounter. So far 287 have entered and it will run through the 30th of this month.