Dena Dyer is an award-winning author, editor, and writing teacher. As a teen, Dena had devotionals, short stories and poems published in a variety of magazines, including: Listen, Teen, Seventeen, Young Ambassador and EC. In 1993, she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (double major: English/Professional Writing and Vocal Music) from Baylor University with a 3.5 GPA.
From 1996-present, Dena has had:
- Tips and short pieces published in magazines, including Family Circle, Ladies’ Home Journal, Redbook, Nick Jr. Family, Scholastic Parent, Today’s Christian Woman, Discipleship Journal, Working Mother, and Writer’s Digest.
- Articles published in magazines such as HomeLife, Woman’s World, Deacon, MissionsUSA, Pastor’s Family, The Minister’s Family, and Focus on the Family.
- Greeting card copy purchased by American Greeting and quotes featured in the desktop calendar 365 Days of Heavenly Humor for Women.
- Three solo books published by royalty publishers (Grace for the Race: Meditations for Busy Moms—Barbour, 2004 and re-released as an e-book in 2012 by Patheos Press; Mothers of the Bible–Barbour, 2009; Let the Laugh Lines and Wrinkles Come—Barbour, 2010).
- Two books published with co-author Laurie Barker Copeland (The Groovy Chicks’ Road Trip to Peace and The Groovy Chicks’ Road Trip to Love—Cook, 2005 and 2006).
- One book published with co-author Tina Samples (Wounded Women of the Bible—Kregel, 2013). WWOB won a Golden Scroll Award for Non-Fiction Book of the Year in 2014.
- Essays, quotes, poems, prayers and devotionals published in more than twenty compilations and anthologies (Chicken Soup for the Soul: Devotionals for Mothers; God’s Little Devotional Book for Grandparents; Humor for the Teacher’s Heart; The Heart of a Mother; Rest Stops for Busy Moms; Simple Pleasures of the Kitchen; Simple Pleasures of Friendship; But Lord, I was Happy Shallow; Love Notes on His Pillow; House Blessings; When God Steps In; Chicken Soup for the Sister’s Soul 2; Miracles of Motherhood: Prayers and Poems for a New Mother; Divine Secrets of the Yahweh Sisterhood; The Art of Helping; A Cup of Comfort Devotional).
In addition, Dena has taught writing classes at local and national conferences, community education programs, and online (WritersHelper.org). She enjoys mentoring writers in both paid and volunteer capacities, assisting them with query letters, proposals, and articles.
To give back to the writing community and “pay forward” the investment others have made in her, she began hosting Write Away weekend mentoring retreats for small groups of aspiring women writers in 2014.
Need Dena to write or edit something for you? Contact her for fees and availability by emailing her at denadyer (at) gmail.com.